Working with Youth Outreach we've started having weekly soccer games for all the street kids in the area, they play for about an hour and then we teach them a short lesson afterwards. The kids have actually been really responsive, with help for TYOM with translation the kids not only get to have fun playing soccer but get a little health/life lesson. It feels really great teaching the kids because it actually feels like were making a difference in the community.
Measles is still the number one cause of death for children in Uganda, so in an effort of combat this highly infections disease the Ministry of Health for all of Uganda had mass immunizations this weekend. I was able to go help out with it, I gave the polio vaccine and after the children were done getting their vaccinations I marked their left pinkie finger with a permanent marker specially designed for the polio campaigns, no one told me though that it would stain your hands, so I have black marks all over my hands that make me look permanently dirty. We helped eradicate measles and polio one child at a time.
It was a little sad to watch the children waiting to get their shots, first they saw all the other kids ahead of them
freaking out and crying plus the nurses prepare the needle right in front of the children. I got to hold some of the kids down so they wouldn't make it worse. The adults here don't have much sympathy for the kids, the nurses ans parents would just laugh. It was actually funny at times to see the kids get so worked up.
On our last day helping, Hillary and I went to pick up all the other volunteers to go to lunch but when we went to where Dani was she was no where to be found. The people working at the hospital didn't even now where she went off to, the stand where is was volunteering was gone and so was our Dani. So we went on this wild goose chance all around Jinja, we were starting to get worried when we went to the children's hospital and she wasn't there either, but luckily we found her like half an hour later.
It was a really great experience to join together with the church, government and local community to help eliminate this easily fixable problem. I told one of the nurses that there are people in America that choose not to immunize their children and she was flabbergasted that people did that. It made me think that there are so many children that are dying all around the world from diseases that we don't even think about because vaccines are so accessible. I am so grateful that we have the technology to stop diseases before they even have a chance, immunizations are what makes it possible to live a happy and healthy life. So don't be stupid, immunize your children.
Measles is still the number one cause of death for children in Uganda, so in an effort of combat this highly infections disease the Ministry of Health for all of Uganda had mass immunizations this weekend. I was able to go help out with it, I gave the polio vaccine and after the children were done getting their vaccinations I marked their left pinkie finger with a permanent marker specially designed for the polio campaigns, no one told me though that it would stain your hands, so I have black marks all over my hands that make me look permanently dirty. We helped eradicate measles and polio one child at a time.
It was a little sad to watch the children waiting to get their shots, first they saw all the other kids ahead of them
On our last day helping, Hillary and I went to pick up all the other volunteers to go to lunch but when we went to where Dani was she was no where to be found. The people working at the hospital didn't even now where she went off to, the stand where is was volunteering was gone and so was our Dani. So we went on this wild goose chance all around Jinja, we were starting to get worried when we went to the children's hospital and she wasn't there either, but luckily we found her like half an hour later.
It was a really great experience to join together with the church, government and local community to help eliminate this easily fixable problem. I told one of the nurses that there are people in America that choose not to immunize their children and she was flabbergasted that people did that. It made me think that there are so many children that are dying all around the world from diseases that we don't even think about because vaccines are so accessible. I am so grateful that we have the technology to stop diseases before they even have a chance, immunizations are what makes it possible to live a happy and healthy life. So don't be stupid, immunize your children.
I'm so impressed by everything you are getting done. This is just an incredible adventure and you look rad! Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteHey Lesley! This is the coolest thing ever! I love your picture! And your hair looks GREAT! I love reading about your adventures and all of the good things you are doing as a representative of your country and your family. I hope my own kids will have the opportunity to follow in your footsteps one day. Do you get to stay in one place your whole time or do you travel around? Also, is it always hot there? I don't know much about Uganda. Looking forward to reading your next blog and seeing more pictures! I'm a visual learner! Must see photos! Love you, Aunt Leslie
ReplyDeleteHey Les, So far I've stay in and around Lugazi mostly but we do have some trips coming up soon to Gulu, which is way up north in Uganda, and Rwanda. I'm trying to space them throughout the whole summer. Its pretty hot here and humid, but since its the wet season it rains a lot. I'll try to get pictures on again, ita hard because the internet is sooooo dang slow, it takes me about 15 to send on email. Thanks for the well wishes!
ReplyDeleteThe only retards who don't immunize their kids are homeschooled kids who live on islands off the west coast, I swear. Freaks. I can't even imagine not immunizing my children just to get media attention. Some people seem to think the vaccines CAUSE the disease but seriously, is it worth the risk? Like hey I might get hit by my airbag accidently going off so I'm never gonna drive a car. Pullllease! People. Snort. People should be forced to be immunized to prevent diseases from still being around. The only reason some diseases still exist is because people refuse vaccines. Then they get the disease and vwala! it is still around. Anyway, rant over. You are doing a good thing out there by helping people get vaccinated and immunized. Go Lester!
ReplyDelete