Ok so imagine a swarm of Ugandan men and women lining up to wash their hands, crazy huh? But true, this past week we had a major hand washing event in the local market. We are putting in 5 new hand washing stations and to help get the people excited about and using it we had a free mini hand washing course. Hillary and I taught a short 10 minute lesson about why, when, and how to washing your hands, if they completed the "course" then they received a little certificate saying they are now Hand Washing certified and got a free gift of a hygiene kit. It was really amazing to see all the market vendor excited to use the new hand washing station and to receive their certificates, especially since they love that kind
of stuff here. We were able to give out over a 100 hygiene kits!! Hand washing is great
Also this week we are having our big eye clinic. Sight Savers, a NGO (non-governmental organizations) that helps people get diagnosis and treatment for different eye aliments that donated nearly $4000, and the local hospital ophthalmologists are working with us to help people get the eye treatment they need. Yesterday (day 1) we saw over 250 people! I got to help give the eye exam, the one where people have to read the letters, it was so much fun and we were able to help a lot of people. There were some really cute old men and women that were getting their eyes checked. You don't see many really old people around town so it was a treat to help the cute grandmas and grandpas.
Also this week we are having our big eye clinic. Sight Savers, a NGO (non-governmental organizations) that helps people get diagnosis and treatment for different eye aliments that donated nearly $4000, and the local hospital ophthalmologists are working with us to help people get the eye treatment they need. Yesterday (day 1) we saw over 250 people! I got to help give the eye exam, the one where people have to read the letters, it was so much fun and we were able to help a lot of people. There were some really cute old men and women that were getting their eyes checked. You don't see many really old people around town so it was a treat to help the cute grandmas and grandpas.
I tried to post something and it didn't work. Anyway, thanks for keeping us up to date. The hand washing experience made me realize how much we take for granted here. Is there enough access to clean water over there? Why would people not wash their hands? It seems so foreign to me. But let me know. I'd love to learn! I'd also love to start giving my students certificates for washing THEIR hands! Ha ha! Maybe we'd have less illness!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the good idea and always great to hear about what you are experiencing. Love, Aunt Les
P. S. I may come up as Natalie again, but you'll know it's me :-) Love you!
Ha ha! Now I'm ANONYMOUS!!!!! I really can not figure this posting jazz out! Bear with me! Who knows what I'll show up as next time. Ha ha!
ReplyDeleteLesley!!!!! You are in Africa!?! How AMAZING is that!? It is amazing to read your blog and to see all of the different things that you are doing over there!
ReplyDeleteI hope that you have one of the best experiences of your life over there!!!
I think you ought to come teach that hand
ReplyDeletewashing seminar thing to my roommate. Seems like the dirtiest little girl I have ever met. I love that I live in a country where it is so easy to clean things and be healthy 24/7 and even if I DO get sick my doctor is only a ten minute walk away. I went camping in Montana over the fourth of july and it made me realize how lucky I am to have running water and a shower and clean clothes. I love when the Lord reminds us of the small and simple wonderfulness of life. I hope you are well and healthy and out there helping tons of people! My life seems so inconsequentel in comparison to what you are doing. I feel lame for complaining only this morning about having to walk to class when people are over in Uganda dying of Malaria and such. I'm sending a hug and a very intense back massage just cus I know how much you love em!